Chicken Afritada is a Filipino chicken stew also known as “Apritadang Manok”. Many believed that this chicken dish is introduced in the Philippines by the Spaniards. Wherein Afritada was derived from the Spanish word “Fritada” which means “Fried”.
The savory chicken, the bright color of the tomato-based sauce and the fresh vegetables that is immersed in the sauce and makes the dish so delicious.
Chicken Afritada is the staple dish during fiestas and wedding receptions in different provinces. It can also serve in different special occasion or just a simple family meal at home.
Try this easy-to-make Filipino style recipe of Chicken Afritada for a scrumptious dinner!
1 kl. Chicken thigh / drumstick
2 large yellow onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
6 pieces hotdogs or wieners, sliced diagonally
1 ½ cups tomato sauce
1 ½ cups frozen green peas
3 pieces potatoes, cleaned and quartered
2 teaspoons granulated white sugar
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat a pan, and pour-in the cooking oil.
2. If the oil is already hot, sauté the garlic and onion.
3. And, once the onion is cooked, add the chicken and pour-in the fish sauce. Then cook until the chicken becomes light brown.
4. Next, pour-in the tomato sauce. Stir and let it boil. Cover and simmer until the chicken becomes tender.
5. Add the hotdogs and potatoes and let it cook for about 8 minutes.
6. Then, add the green peas, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir and let the vegetables cook.
7. And lastly, transfer to a serving bowl and serve.